John is a doer. Present him with a business problem and it will get resolved. John has the ability to see the big picture, think strategically, and then follow through to implement a resolution. John provides a unique mix of industry know how, television and theatrical creative savvy and practical advice.
Partner, Media & Entertainment Business Consulting
Working with customers is a challenge. Understanding how to navigate through their cross divisional workflows is essential. Knowing how to approach customer service and strategically partnering with a client, while identifying new sources of revenue is a must.
With the advances of technology, the supply of creative talent, the availability of the latest sophisticated equipment, the only thing that will stand out is “how good is your customer service?”
Customer service is not just taking and filling orders. Nor is it just a partnership with a client to present integrated solutions.
It is instead the ability to follow through with deliverables.
CECS or “Continue Expanding Customer Service” is the ability to follow through with deliverables. Sounds easy yet the number one complaint I hear from clients is the inability of the vendor to meet or exceed their customer service needs after buying off on a solution.
“I excel in listening and responding effectively to client’s needs.”
If you want your company to take the lead and capture more market share, call now and together we can “continue to differentiate your services through technology, workflow improvement, and superior customer service.”
Content is King
With all the latest emerging technologies such as the iPod, and cell phones you can watch movies on, this only points in one direction…outstanding new revenue opportunities for content providers and owners.
To understand the insatiable appetite the consumer has for new technology and their demand to buy content once, then have usage of it anywhere and everywhere, it is essential to embrace the digital revolution concept of creating content once and have the resources to distribute it everywhere.
Content providers are at the forefront of what I call an ODGEM or “On Demand Global Entertainment Market.”
Here are three valuable questions:
- What portion of this revenues stream is applicable today
for your business?
- How does your company capitalize on this emerging market?
- Is your company prepared to meet the growing challenges of your clients who are driven by their consumer’s demands?
Together we can evaluate these critical questions and “continue to differentiate your services through technology, workflow improvement, and superior customer service.”
Some technology initiatives I Executive Sponsored successfully for The Walt Disney Company are:
Screener project for Buena Vista International Television:
Buena Vista International Television required a solution to ensure immediate delivery of television and feature film content in a streaming server for viewing as sales and marketing screeners. The streaming server was to provide a secure access to the content via a web based interface.
It included: Encoding BVI content as Microsoft Windows Media 9 format, encoding in 2 resolutions; 900 kbps for local internal viewing and 300 kbps, all was watermarked with BVI logo, publishing all content on the streaming server in London within 24 hrs of encoding, streaming from a local server in London and content was securely delivered via propriety network to London.
As a result of this new service, BVI increased time to market in delivering their content.
Implementation of DRM:
The dubbing reference material project is a file based service developed in a strategic partnership with Disney addressing their stated desire to eventually becoming all file based. This service sends OMF and PTS files to all territories for dubbing foreign language material. Improvements to this delivery system have been implemented since its inception.
New Service to Improve Time-To-Market:
I introduced a new service to Disney that would improve time-to-market in the domestic and international subtitling process in a file based application. This also benefited in a cross divisional sharing of costs and deliverables.
(Some may not apply to your company)
- Development of new technologies tied to workflows
- Strategic partnership with clients
- Developing new services
- Analog to digital transition
- Interface with key executives on both sides of the table to be pro-active in establishing mutual customer service goals while establishing goals in growing the account
- Work with your team to write and win RFP’s
- Take your company from tactical to strategic with your clients
- Seamless integration of closed loop solution
- Review workflow for editorial mastering services for First Run theatrical releases and TV shows (both traditional and DI)
- Review live action and animation restoration processes
- Validate creation of DVD’s through DLT deliverables (Design/C&A)
- Evaluate syndication feed services
- VOD asset management review
- Establish asset management (including naming conventions)
- Determine digital distribution of assets capabilities and forward thinking
- Understand the difference between in-house and in territory re-mastering for foreign languages
- Foreign language translations, sub titling/captioning – How it relates to DLT deliverables and DI
- Anti-piracy initiatives and regulations
- Understanding forensic water marking technology
- Identified several areas of workflows to improve by:
- Benchmarking action items
- Adding processes to the workflow
- Resolving detailed issues on workflow
- Establish monthly reporting process on the improvements made with agreed matrix
- Live action production from inception through completion of